Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Things We Would Like to Do......If Only We Had the Time!

Don't you ever think about all of the wonderful things we would enjoy doing, if only we had the time?

One of the things that falls into this category for me is sewing.  I love to sew and love designing and creating cute, over the top, little outfits for my granddaughters.   The rewards are so great.  You can really mess something up and they still look adorable wearing them.  Seeing their excited and pleased faces as they share a look in the mirror wearing their new duds is worth all the hours spent ripping out mistakes.  However, there is only a small "window" of opportunity because when they reach the age of 8 or 9, those over the top little outfits are just that to them......over the top and surely Nana doesn't really expect me to put this on!!!  So, I must sew while the time is hot because my oldest granddaughter will be 8 this summer and I so hope she will continue, for at least a little while, enjoy wearing Nana's creations.

I would love to make things for my 2 grandsons, however, I don't imagine they would even try them on, much less wear them.  Now, I will take that back.  They love it when I make costumes for them.  So Halloween costumes are a hit, but that's about where the love of Nana's outfits start and stop!

The problem with trying to hit that "delicate balance" is if you are working you don't have the time to do a lot of sewing, but if you are not working you won't likely have the extra money to buy the fabric and patterns and accessories needed for each creation.  So, there in lies the question of things I would like to do if only I had the time.

As many of you can attest, sewing does not necessarily save a lot of money as it did when I was growing up.  My mother made almost all of my clothes because I could have a choice of three little home made dresses for the price of one store bought dress.  But, not the case today.  After a shopping trip last winter, I went home and assessed all of the items I had purchased to make little granddaughter outfits, I realized that I could have saved Papa money with a visit to Dillard's.  But that wouldn't have been nearly as much fun and surely they wouldn't have liked them as much because they didn't have Nana's love sewn into the seams.  Some things are just better left unknown.

As for now, I will just enjoy designing and creating on my days off and hope the "window" of opportunity is still there when I find more extra time in my days!

No comments:

Post a Comment